Local

Electronic store loses fire incident lawsuit

Civil court on Monday ruled that the state electric company was not liable in the fire that burned down Fariva electronics in capital Male in January last year.

The lawsuit against STELCO was filed by the owner of Fariva, Mahuma Hussein Rasheed.

Rasheed had alleged that the cause of the fire was a shortage in the electricity distribution board set up by Stelco and had demanded MVR33 million in damages.

Civil court judge, Hathif Haleem, ruled against the electronic store saying that there was no evidence provided by the plaintiff to support the allegations during the trial.

The fire broke out around 4:30AM on 20 January last year. By the time firefighters controlled the flames, the fire had burned down the entire store and damaged adjacent buildings

Recent News